In a shocking revelation filed with the Karnataka High Court, the Karnataka government has placed the blame firmly on the shoulders of Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) and event organisers for the tragic stampede that shook Bengaluru on June 4. The tragedy, which took place during a hastily arranged IPL victory procession, claimed the lives of 11 individuals and left more than 50 injured.
In the official report presented by the state government, RCB did not adhere to basic procedures and obtain prior clearance from Bengaluru police prior to organizing the celebratory procession, resulting in a breakdown of crowd management and public safety infrastructure. The court had previously sought a detailed report from the government and dismissed the state’s request to keep the report confidential on the grounds that there was “no legal basis” for the same.
RCB’s Role in the Firing Line
The report of the government raised huge eyebrows over the role of RCB and their event organizer, DNA Entertainment Networks Pvt. Ltd., in evading the usual process. It says that when the organisers gave an intimation to the police on June 3 about the possible victory parade, they did not file the necessary applications or seek formal clearance.
“There was no application in the prescribed format submitted to the licensing authority by the organiser. Without the necessary information regarding crowd estimates, traffic management, and safety measures, it was not possible for the police to grant permission,” the report stated.
The Cubbon Park Police Station, which is the one that monitors the area around the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, denied clearance because of the absence of these important details. Despite this, the event proceeded on June 4, a day after RCB’s IPL victory, and attracted tens of thousands of people into the main streets of central Bengaluru.
The Kohli Video That Went Viral
Firing up the controversy is an online video clip of RCB sensation Virat Kohli, which was viral on social networking sites hours before the victory parade. Kohli can be heard in the video urging fans to come out in large numbers to celebrate the team’s triumph.
The state’s report referred to the video as a catalyst for the surge in crowd numbers, noting that “the team’s public outreach, particularly Mr. Kohli’s viral video, created an expectation among the public that a grand celebration would be held.” This unofficial promotion led to overwhelming attendance that far exceeded any capacity or safety planning.
While RCB has not made a formal statement on the report, the viral video has led to fresh demands for accountability from the franchise and its management.
A Breakdown in Coordination
The report also states how the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) visited the police station on June 3 around 6:30 PM to give them a hint of a likely victory parade. Yet, this visit was not substantiated — no tangible plans, anticipated crowd, emergency response setup, or traffic diversions were communicated.
This caught the city police off guard for the crowd of people that assembled the following day, mostly around MG Road and Cubbon Road. The beginning of the event occurred during rush hour, adding to the confusion.
Eyewitnesses reported scenes of individuals trampled against barricades, becoming unconscious, and parents separating from their children in the crush. Footage from the incident records individuals climbing trees, rooftops, and even traffic lights to flee the crowd rush.
Tribunal Had Also Blamed RCB
This is not the first time RCB has been held liable. Previously, this month, a special tribunal established to inquire into the stampede also placed the franchise on the hook for going ahead with the event when they did not have requisite permissions.
It said the organisers “willfully disregarded” city procedures and did not co-ordinate with disaster management agencies. The tribunal’s interim suggestions included stricter regulation of future public sports festivities and severe penalties for non-compliance.
Public Reaction and Political Fallout
Public outrage still persists following the catastrophe. Relatives of the victims have called for a judicial investigation and compensation. Civil society organizations have charged both RCB and the state government of Karnataka with negligence and inaction to ensure citizens’ safety.
RCB, the most popular of all IPL teams, had finally won their first title after years of being branded the “unlucky finalists,” and had been celebrating in emotional scenes around the state. But the party soon turned to tragedy, with what was supposed to be a moment of pride descending into a public nightmare.
Political parties have been quick to pounce on the report. Opposition BJP has blamed the Congress government for protecting celebrities and cricket administrators, but the Congress leadership has maintained that strict action will be taken against the guilty ones.
Addressing the media, Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara stated, “Regardless of how large the name or how well-known the team, rules cannot be flouted. We are examining each aspect and legal responsibility will follow.”
The Way Forward
The High Court is scheduled to hear the matter next week to scrutinize the contents of the report and decide the future course of action. In the meantime, the police at Bengaluru have begun an investigation into the involvement of DNA Entertainment and top brass from the management of RCB.
The unfortunate accident has also generated talk about the necessity of improved crowd control infrastructure, particularly in large cities such as Bengaluru where public passion for sports can transform into huge, uncontrollable crowds in a matter of hours.
Experts are of the view that future IPL franchises and teams should be under the scanner of a regulatory regime that requires coordination with city governments, crowd estimates, and real-time monitoring systems prior to conducting any public procession.
While the city is in mourning for the victims of the tragedy, everyone is in agreement that the event should be an eye-opener for all parties involved—from sports organizations to governments—never to assume anything about public safety, even in times of triumph.
![]()

